Middle Eastern Perspectives on Taking Forward the UN75 Declaration: From Reflection to Innovation & Action
A virtual discussion with select experts from the Middle East and North Africa contributing ideas and perspectives on the UN Secretary-General’s forthcoming Our Common Agenda report
8 June [email protected] 9:00 am EST
As an independent, multi-stakeholder contribution to the consultations and substantive preparations for the UN Secretary-General’s forthcoming Our Common Agenda report, the Stimson Center and the Doha Institute’s Center for Conflict and Humanitarian Studies will convene select experts from the Middle East and North Africa for a webinar discussion. The event seeks to offer diverse perspectives from across these regions in response to the overarching question: “In marking 75 years of the United Nations, how can the results of last year’s intense reflection now be turned into action and contribute to innovation and strengthening of the world body?” Two proposed event goals are:
- First, to propose concrete ideas and inclusive strategies for the Secretary-General to consider for his forthcoming Our Common Agenda recommendations for strengthening global collective action to realize the UN75 Declaration’s full potential, with an eye to the Greater Middle East’s role in supporting progressive change across borders.
- And secondly, to identify pathways and international actors chiefly responsible for advancing the UN75 Declaration’s vision and individual commitments, detailing the unique capabilities, ideas, and networks within the Middle East and North Africa to advance the UN75 Declaration against the backdrop of COVID-19.
This webinar is meant to help spur and inform debate, as well as raise timely questions about the challenges and opportunities ahead for improved global governance, giving particular attention to the Greater Middle East’s unique perspectives and decades-long engagement in efforts to build more effective multilateral cooperation and a rules-based international order.
- Sheikha Alya Ahmed bin Saif Al Thani, Permanent Representative of the State of Qatar to the United Nations
- H.E. Mahmoud Daifallah Hmoud, Ambassador of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the Republic of Singapore
- Mohamed Abdulfatah, Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Conflict and Humanitarian Studies
- Shereen Shaheen, Director of Program, West Asia-North Asia Institute
- Hajer Sharief, Co-Founder, Together We Built It
- Karim Makdisi, Director of the Program in Public Policy and International Affairs, and Associate Professor, American University of Beirut
- Mohammed Al-Jefairi, Chairman, Creativity Makers Center
- Richard Ponzio, Senior Fellow and Director, Global Governance, Justice & Security, The Stimson Center
- Maryam Nemazee, Newshour Anchor, Aljazeera